Jean 82/365


So one of the oddities about living in southern Utah is that there are real,
live polygamists around. I'm not talking about the ones you see on Big Love
who would live right next door to you (although we have plenty of those,
too). I'm talking about the fundamentalists who live in Colorado City (not
far away from here) and follow Warren Jeffs and all of his crazy teachings.
We can always count on seeing families of them while we're in Costco, and
today I finally got brave and snapped a quick photo of one of the women.
Hard to see, I know, but that's her right in the middle. Identifiable by
what I refer to as a "prairie dress" and her hair style. Note the long
braid the the huge poof of bang (higher the hair, the closer to heaven you
are??) She was with one other women (wife?) and a young school-aged
daughter. Don't get me wrong, I believe in religious freedom. I just begin
to question it when things like child brides and forgotten sons become part
of it all. The whole thing just kind of creeps me out, really.

1 comment:

Robin in NJ said...

Interesting narrative. I don't understand polygamy at all.