Clint 35/365


I got to go to Escalante for work today. This is the tiny town of about 800
that I spent 10 years of my life at my first teaching job.

I was lucky enough to coach golf for the last 5 years or so that I was
there, and my assistant coach was Louis. He is the janitor and maintenance
man at the elementary school. You would be hard pressed to find another guy
as fun to be around, or one who gets along with the kids better than Louis.
We had a fantastic time working with the kids, and playing a little golf
together in the spring every week for a few years. This parking sign is
vintage Louis.

This spot was empty today, and is most school days lately. Louis has cancer,
his immune system is shot, and can only come in when no one else is around
before and after school withnthe help of his wife. All in all, he's doing
well, but He can't do all that he used to.

Because of this, the 5th and 6th grade boys set up the lunch tables, clean
up and take the tables down, and empty the trash throughout the school at
the end of each day, along with some other things that need to be done
around the school. They do it gladly and willingly - its amazing to see. You
won't find an educational opportunity like that in any textbook.

What ever you believe, say a good word or think a good thought for Louis. He
can use all of the good vibes he can get.

3 comments:

Renatta said...

that's so sad! and so sweet that everyone loves him

Unknown said...

I was thinking exactly what Renatta said.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Robin in NJ said...

I'm with Renatta. It's a sad, touching story.