Liz 359/365



Big day today! A pound or so of Neal is now on its way to Colorado,
where it will be picked up by someone heading to Punta Arenas, Chile on
March 7, where they will board the (research vessel) Nathan B. Palmer,
which will be heading out on a NSF mission to Antarctica. When they
reach the Weddell Sea, they will, um, chuck him over the side. Why?
When Neal was in the Coast Guard (back in the early 1980s) he on an ice
breaker on a mission in that area. It was a huge event in his life.
I am so damned thrilled I was able to figure this out! I've been trying to
find a way to get some ashes to Antarctica for over a year and had just
started to think it wasn't possible. I arranged to have some ashes
dropped above the Arctic Circle (Beaufort Sea) and the North Atlantic
last summer, so now that I can cross Antarctica off the list, the only
major location left is Costa Rica where he vacationed several times.
But that one's not impossible, just expensive. So happy...

2 comments:

Jean said...

MUHAHAHA! Too late! Now I can stalk you until you come back next year!!! ;)

Robin in NJ said...

Do they have a small ceremony or do they literally, um, chuck him over the side?