This photo may need a little explanation... I have a spot at the park that I
like to take my lunch, sit in my car, and listen to music or watch a podcast
or something while I eat. Today, there 7 kids sitting on/near this bench
(little tiny baby was sitting on the lawn out of the picture) - without a
parent in sight. Having lived in Southern Utah for 10+ years, I could see
that these were children of polygamists by the clothes they are wearing and
to an extent the hair styles of the girls. The key is that it's around 90
degrees outside and the girls have full length pioneer-ish looking dresses
with leggings beneath, and the boys have on long sleeve shirts and long
pants on. The only skin that is allowed to show with these folks is their
hands and faces - everything else must be clothed.
After a few minutes, father comes along from the fast food joint nearby with
food for the kids. He got the food distributed, all the while giving me some
glaring looks over his shoulder - I'm about 25 feet away from them. After
about 5 minutes or so, he jumps into his car parked next to me AND TAKES
OFF! I guess the 6 year old was in charge? I thought that this was a bit
strange, but hey - they aren't my kids...
A little more time passes (probably about 10 minutes) and the car returns,
but this time father has brought (a) mother along with him. I only see one,
but I'll assume that she was the mother of at least a few of the kids -
neither of the parents had blonde hair, but the kids sure do. By this time,
I need to get headed back to work.
A slice of life in Southern Utah...
4 comments:
Its great that you live in a small town where parents can feel safe doing this but still WTH!
You crazy utahians! You would thin there would n
Be plenty of wives around to watch the kids :)
That's what I thought! I was surprised to only see one before I left.
Is it only polygamists who dress that way? We have ultra-conservative christian types up here with many kids who dress like that.
Post a Comment