Clint 8/365


I guess its not what you know, it's who you know.

At my technology conference last week, I attended a session that showed how
to take old computers and repurpose them as home media servers. The
presenter, who is a pretty good friend, said that they may have some decent
surplus computers, and if any one wanted one, they could have them -
otherwise they would end up in the recycle bin. The model was a big, bulky
one, but we were in need of an old computer to replace one in our office
that had died, so I said that I'd take one...

The next thing I knew, emails went back and forth, the models that they
thought would be replaced were not, but there was a smaller, nicer, faster
Mac Mini that was available, and the tech coordinator (that I've worked with
in the past but is from a district that I don't even work with regularly)
was shipping it to me, along with an extra (but new) keyboard and mouse he
had on hand, on Monday. It arrived at work today.

So, what I thought would be a decent replacement worth about $50 if I had
tried to find the same thing on eBay, ended up being a great upgrade worth a
lot more than that - just because I was in the right place, at the right
time, and knew the right people.

Life is strange sometimes...

3 comments:

Shawn said...

Awesome. I'd love to have a Mac Mini to hook up to the TV. I've currently got a Dell workstation connected to the TV and it works fine but the Mac would be much nicer.

Unknown said...

That is pretty darn cool!

Liz T. said...

I've got a Mac Mini but don't know what to do to turn it into a media server. Any tips/links?? Suppose I ought to take this question to the FB page.